The Marjaree Mason Center offers a variety of education opportunities for those who have experienced domestic violence or for the community at large.
This class is free and open to the community. It is held weekly at MMC’s administration building in downtown Fresno. The first portion of the class is informational and provides an overview of various types of restraining orders, the criminal justice system, safety planning, and services available. The second portion of the class walks clients through filling out a request for a Temporary Domestic Violence Restraining Order.
- Thursdays - 10:00am – 12:00pm
S.A.F.E Group, which stands for Survivors of Abuse: Free and Empowered, is a 12-week course covering domestic violence, with topics including (but not limited to) defining DV, understanding healthy relationships and the effects of DV on children. This course is held weekly at the Marjaree Mason Center Administration Building and meets court requirements for removing a restraining order. For more information call (559) 237-4706.
- Tuesdays - 8:45am - 10am (Spanish)
- Tuesdays - 6:00pm - 7:30pm (English)
- Fridays - 10:30am - 12pm (English)
- Mondays 4:00pm-5:00pm (Spanish)
- Thursdays 9:30am-11:00am (English)
- Wednesdays 9:15am-10:15am (English)
- Wednesdays 10:30am-11:30am (Spanish)
The course teaches our clients positive parenting techniques; how to promote healthy growing for their children; and discipline tactics for raising a healthy family. This course is for shelter clients only.
For clients staying at Marjaree Mason Center shelters, this Healthy Lifestyles course teaches the often overlooked skills in life like budgeting, time-management, job-hunting and interviewing, self-sufficiency, and self esteem. This course is for shelter clients only.
Expressions Through Art
This course promotes healing through the power of art. Women staying at the Marjaree Mason Center Emergency Shelter draw, sculpt, write, and practice other forms of art to help them express themselves and learn about healing. The shelter also hosts a similar art group for children. This course is for Safe House clients only.
The Marjaree Mason Center Training Institute offers high-quality training provided by locally and nationally recognized experts in fields related to domestic violence.Training topics include: secondary trauma and self care for professionals, assessing and working with abusers, attachment disorder in victims and substance abuse in victims.Trainings are open to the public with continuing education units (CEUs) available (BBS provider PCE 3135). Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis. For additional information, please contact Toni Davidson, Education and Training Coordinator, at email@example.com or (559) 487-1309.
40-Hour Domestic Violence Counselor Training
Course Objective: To train state-certified domestic violence counselors serving Fresno County.
- Meets CA Evidence Code 1037.1 for DV counselors
- MFT/LCSW CEUs for the Board of Behavioral Science
- Expert speakers and professional setting
- Training manual with academic research and practical tips
- The course meets the qualifications for 40 hours of continuing education credit for MFTs and/or LCSWs as required by California BBS. Provider # PCE 3135
- History of domestic violence
- Civil and criminal law related to domestic violence
- Domestic violence victim-counselor privilege
- Other laws that protect the confidentiality of victim records and information
- Societal attitudes toward domestic violence
- Peer counseling techniques
- Housing, public assistance and other financial resources available to meet the financial needs of domestic violence victims
- Referral services available to domestic violence victims.
- Meets the requirements of California Evidence Code 1037.1 for DV counselor
- Teen dating violence education
Course Schedule (June 2017)
- Tuesday, June 6 - MMC 40-Hour DV Training - 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Wednesday, June 7 - MMC 40-Hour DV Training - 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Thursday, June 8 - MMC 40-Hour DV Training - 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Saturday, June 10 - MMC 40-Hour DV Training - 8:00 am – 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- Tuesday, June 13 - MMC 40-Hour DV Training - 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Wednesday, June 14 - MMC 40-Hour DV Training - 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Thursday, June 15 - MMC 40-Hour DV Training - 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Saturday, June 17 - MMC 40-Hour DV Training - 8:00 am – 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
The Marjaree Mason Center conducts hundreds of community training presentations every year. These presentations include general information about domestic violence, as well as what to do if you suspect someone you know is a victim. Many schools, day-care facilities, healthcare providers, and other agencies have received training.
If you would like to schedule a MMC presentation, please fill out this form, and a representative from the Marjaree Mason Center will be in touch with you.
The KNOW MORE program currently works within five Fresno County school districts, providing domestic violence education and intervention to teens with the goal of educating youth on the devastating and long-lasting effects of abuse in teen relationships.
KNOW MORE was created as a forum for teens to speak to other teens, utilizing drama, music, real-life situations and statistics of abuse in teen relationships to demonstrate the seriousness of the problem. The primary audience of KNOW MORE presentations is high school-aged youth, however, we also do presentations for teachers, parents and other adults regarding teen dating violence and how to help if a teenager you know is facing this difficult issue. If you are interested in receiving a presentation, contact KNOW MORE program staff member Yameen (firstname.lastname@example.org) via email, or call (559) 237-4706.
CHANGES: Batterers Intervention Program
The Batterers' Intervention Program is a 52-week class for people post-conviction or referred by another agency in a domestic violence related situation. Pre-registration is required, self-referrals are not allowed. The course takes place at the Marjaree Mason Center's Education and Training Center at 1300 E. Shaw, Suite 176. For more information, call (559) 226-1831.
CHOICES: Health Communication Program
Formerly called the Anger Management Program, this 12-week class develops the tools and skills needed to manage conflict and maintain healthy relationships. Pre-registration is required, self-referrals are allowed. The course takes place at Marjaree Mason Center's Education and Training Center at 1300 E. Shaw, Suite 176. For more information, call (559) 226-1831.
Nurturing Parent Program
The Nurturing Parenting program is a 12-week class that utilizes a successful Nurturing Parenting curriculum. Pre-registration is required, and self-referrals are allowed. The course takes place at Marjaree Mason Center's Education and Training Center at 1300 E. Shaw, Suite 176. For more information, call (559) 226-1831.
Phoenix Family Violence Intervention Program
A 26-week program that integrates accountability, responsibility, compassion, empathy, self-care, healthy communication, relationship building, anger management skills, and parenting without punishment. Please call (559) 226-1831 for more information.
Teen Batterers Intervention Program
A 26 or 52 week course for people post-conviction or referred by another agency in a domestic violence related situation. Pre-registration is required, self-referrals are not allowed. The course takes place at the Marjaree Mason Center's Education and Training Center at 1300 E. Shaw, Suite 176. For more information, call (559) 226-1831.